Pixie Vibes – A Fresh New Cut

Most of you know by now I did an extreme chop.. well two to be precise, within the last few months. It’s a journey in itself to make a dramatic change to your appearance. I went from 24 inch extensions to a sleek bob to a pixie cut within about 4 months or so. The first reaction I always get from people is always “so what happened?”

Why is it that people believe there must be some atrocious event in a woman’s life to make her cut her hair? Sure, I get it. Sometimes things happen and you take it out on your hair. I did that back in 2006 actually. I broke up with my high school sweetheart of a few years and cut my hair (extension free back then) from just above my rear to chin length. Now THAT was a dramatic situation – and a horrible idea. Cutting your hair for emotional reasons always seems to backfire. You’re totally in love with it until about the two week mark, and then you cry into a pint of ice cream afterwards hating yourself for being so stupid.

This hair journey, however; was very meticulously thought out and planned. I knew I needed to give my scalp a break from my fused extensions and needed a rather large trim from having blonde hair for such an extended amount of time. I decided to cut it a little more and see how I felt about the new short hair trend taking the fashion and celebrity scene. You know, I hardly ever have headaches now? Amazing what all that hair weight was doing to me! Now, my hair is super curly so I knew not to repeat my 2006 debacle and cut it so short without a keratin treatment. I had to blow-dry and straighten it every day if I didn’t want to look like Richard Simmons or Orphan Annie. This time, I got a keratin treatment and wowza was it nice! My newly chopped bob was sleek AND smooth!

As the holidays came and went, I was toying with the idea of going even shorter. I’ve forever adored pixie cuts but never had the courage to try them. Why not now when my hair was already super short? Yall – I’m in love with this short hair. I will admit I was nervous when going through with my choice, but I’m so happy I did it! There’s something to be said for having the courage to change your appearance. It’s also interesting to realize how much we rely on our hair as part of our self confidence! An added perk, my morning routine is cut down in half and it dries in about five minutes..say what?!! I typically use some of my favorite Kevin Murphy and Shu Uemura products for styling but that’s about it!

Missed my sleek bob with bangs? You can find that look here or here!

cutout jumpsuit

Photography by Megan Weaver

tara

33 Comments

1. February 20, 2018 / 9:56 am

Well I looove your new look! So sleek and sexy! It brings out your eyes as well 🙂
      xx, Theresa

2. February 20, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I love pixie cuts, but I’m just not brave enough to get one myself! It looks absolutely beautiful on you and so does that outfit! 🙂

3. February 20, 2018 / 12:51 pm

wow girl you pull that off sooo good!! Looks amazing!
      xo shalyn

4. Annaliese
      February 20, 2018 / 1:42 pm

You are rocking the pixie!! This post was awesome to read. 🙂 I love my long hair too much to cut it short, but I admire anyone who can go that short!!

xoxo A

5. February 20, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Ahh your hair looks amazing!! that romper and LOL handbag are SO cute!!

6. Patricia
      February 20, 2018 / 5:55 pm

Love the hair style! Definitely looks great on you, very sleek and professional looking. And that LOL handbag is the perfect finishing touch for that outfit.

7. February 20, 2018 / 8:39 pm

Between that pant suit and that hair style, you have got it going on!! So gorgeous!

8. February 20, 2018 / 8:54 pm

Your hair looks great! I always tell myself I want to something different when I go to the salon but always end up with it looking the same, haha.

9. the sophia diaries
      February 20, 2018 / 9:22 pm

ohhh pixie hair cut looks so good on you! i definitely don’t think i could pull it off haha

10. Britney
      February 20, 2018 / 10:12 pm

1. That jumpsuit on you looks AMAZING 2. You can totally rock that haircut. It looks amazing on you! I always cut my hair and donate it every 2 years and it ends up being really short!

11. February 20, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I LOVE that look on you! I have chopped my hair off a few time, but I always end up going back to the long layered look. I love to change it up every now and then…but definitely have my favorite style!

12. Elizabeth O
      February 21, 2018 / 9:34 am

The pixie cut looks absolutely stunning on you, you are totally rocking it and that gorgeous jumpsuit and red lip combo too!

13. Drake Conan
      February 21, 2018 / 10:40 am

My wife would probably love this outfit pretty and stylish. You look great in your outfit. That really suits you.

14. February 21, 2018 / 11:30 am

Oh I LOVE this hair!! You pull off the pixie cut so well!
      I agree that I don’t think anything dramatic needs to happen for you to want to do a big chop! I happen to just like short hair and frankly… it’s just hair! It’ grows back if you don’t like it. Hair isn’t permanant!

15. Molly Burton
      February 21, 2018 / 11:34 am

You hair looks absolutely AMAZING! I have always wished that I could pull of a pixie cut, but it just isn’t going to happen. This is too cute on you!

Molly // Miss Molly Moon

16. February 21, 2018 / 12:23 pm

Just LOVE that cut on you, really plays up the bone structure of your face. You are certainly brave to try something so bold. As a long haired gal, I’ve toyed with the idea of going short, but chicken out ever time. Also, that jumpsuit is dynamite!

17. February 21, 2018 / 3:10 pm

I really love your haircut. It looks so good on your. As a hairdresser, I feel like that anyone that is petite they can pull off a rocking pixie cut.

18. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
      February 21, 2018 / 3:27 pm

How brave of you to go for such a short cut . . . the results are amazing though! I am considering cutting about 4 or 5 inches off my hair but I don’t think a pixie would suit my face haha.

19. February 21, 2018 / 4:28 pm

Isn’t change awesome? And by the way you wear that short hair so well.
      I’m sorry people think something “happened,” yeah it’s change!

20. February 22, 2018 / 8:08 am

Cool haircut and I love your outfit. Indeed, you are right, sometimes a haircut is just a haircut!

21. McKenna bleu
      February 22, 2018 / 8:29 am

Absolutely stunning!

22. February 22, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I am forever Salty that Shu Uemura pulled most of their US stock! Some of their products are HG.

23. February 22, 2018 / 3:30 pm

you look -so- fab with that pixie cut! not everyone can pull it off, so wear it proud gf! palmade was my life saver when my hair was that short. x, nicole // http://www.nicoleeigh.com

24. February 23, 2018 / 9:44 am

You are stunning, i love the hairdo and your outfit! you rocked it big time

25. February 23, 2018 / 4:10 pm

I think the cut is cute! It looks good on you. I haven’t cut my hair to a noticeable layer so I’ll never experience the shock. I keep it long enough to pull back in a ponytail at all times. That ponytail is my security blanket. I would however love to cut, color and style but my hair is just not one of those to play with on a reasonable budget.