It’s crazy to think the blog is officially two! This has been such a huge year for the blog! Instead of doing a traditional “things I’ve learned post” I thought it would be fun to get to know a little more about me via Vogue’s 73 question interview. Shall we?
1. What’s your favorite movie? While I’m a huge nerd and looooove geeking out over a Harry Potter, Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings/Hobbit binge, Pride and Prejudice will always be my fave. I’m still so swooning over Mr. Darcy.
2. Favorite movie in the past five years? I really loved the artistry and performance in The Theory of Everything. Plus – Eddie Redmayne is a total fox.
3. Favorite Hitchcock film? My mom still thinks the Birds is such a scary movie. It never bothered me but I adore the memory anyway.
4. A book you plan on reading? I have so many on my Goodreads list – but next up is The Tattooist of Auschwitz. True stories always steal my heart!
5. A book that you read in school that positively shaped you? Is Romeo & Juliet too cheesy? It definitely shaped my love of Shakespeare.
6. Favorite TV show that’s currently on? Oh – totally addicted to the Handmaid’s Tale (SO GOOD!)
7. On a scale of one to ten how excited are you about life right now? I’d say a 10. Not being obnoxious but this year is full of so many good things to come. The house is nearly finished and I’ll be moving in sometime late August-ish. Decorating the house is going to be SO much fun and creatively exciting. Charlie retires from active duty Air Force in October (so happy for him).
8. iPhone or Android? I’m an Apple junkie – but my excuse is everything syncs nicely together!
9. Twitter or Instagram? I think Instagram has become impossible. Twitter is way more spontaneous and honest.
10. Who should EVERYONE be following right now? I currently am glued to the Home Edit. The organization skills soothe my OCD and have me so antsy to get started on the new house.
11. What’s your favorite food? I’m a creature of comfort and never turn down Velveeta Mac n’ Cheese Shells. YUM
12. Least favorite food? I still cannot eat olives. I keep trying to give them a chance but alas, we’re not meant to be.
13. What do you love on your pizza? Surprisingly I’m a total bore when it comes to pizza: pepperoni and cheese .. maybe a side of ranch and I’m happy as a clam.
14. Favorite drink? Have you had the red velvet frap at Starbucks? It’s a total dietary splurge of mine but deeeeelish!
15. Favorite dessert? This is an impossible question. I choose them all.
16. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate? Milk. Not a big fan of dark chocolate – unless in almond form.
17. Coffee or tea? Both. Coffee (2 max) in the morning and tea later in the day.
18. What’s the hardest part about being a mum? Well I’m a fur mum – and I hate when my babies are sick. They can’t tell you what’s wrong and it’s just the saddest thing. I love my pups!
19. What’s your favorite band? I will forever be a BSB girl. And N’Sync – but more so BSB.
20. Favorite solo artist? There are soo so many talented artists out there, have you heard the angelic talent of Josh Groban? I think his voice is undeniably beautiful.
21. Favorite song? Work by Jimmy Eat World – so many memories tied to that song
22. If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be? Chris French (Ashley Tisdale’s hubs)
23. If you could master one instrument, what would it be? I am dying to learn how to play the cello – it’s such a gorgeous instrument and unbeatable sound
24. If you had a tattoo, where would it be? Working on that .. stay tuned!
25. To be or not to be? Always to be kind, not to be fooled.
26. Dogs or cats? Dogs. Not really a cat person, sorry fellow feline lovers.
27. Bird-watching or whale-watching? Whale-watching feels like such a rare experience, totally want to go on an Alaskan cruise!
28. Best gift you’ve ever received? Both my mother and Charlie have created charm bracelets for me – they’re the sweetest things filled with charms unique to me.
29. Best gift you’ve ever given? Paying for a stranger’s coffee
30. Last gift you gave a friend? Random flowers and wine 🙂
31. What’s your favorite board game? Operation – I’m usually verrry good at it
32. What’s your favorite country to visit? The Bahamas – memories with my mother in law and how much she loved it there.
33. What’s the last country you visited? France
34. What country do you wish to visit? I have a few: Italy, Iceland, Bali, England, Scotland
35. What’s your favorite color? I embrace the rainbow of options.
36. Least favorite color? Brown. Bleh.
37. Diamonds or pearls? Pearls – they’re more classic and sophisticated. Diamonds, in my opinion, can become gaudy so quickly.
38. Heels or flats? I’m super short – so heels make me feel and obviously look taller.
39. Pilates or yoga? Both!
40. Jogging or swimming? I have terrible knees from my years and years in ballet – so swimming it is!
41. Best way to de-stress? Hot tea or a glass of wine with a book and a hot bubble bath
42. If you had one superpower, what would it be? To morph into anything (bird, fly, etc.)
43. What’s the weirdest word in the English language? ooh I could say several, but for the sake of staying PG – i’ll say vomit
44. What’s your favorite flower? Lilies and orchids. my bouquet was all lady slipper orchids!
45. When was the last time you cried? Last night while watching a movie (I’m a sap)
46. Do you like your handwriting? I’m a lefty so it’s not perfect but I try
47. Do you bake? Yes! I love it!
48. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? my thighs – i just hate them.
49. What is your most favorite thing about yourself? I am not afraid to be exactly myself. So many people cower behind their own fears or even social media. With me, it’s all out there baby.
50. Who do you miss most? not who but when – I miss when my brother, cousins and I were all little and spent weekends at Grandma’s. Life was so precious then.
51. What are you listening to right now? Poppy’s snoring
52. Favorite smell? the smell of fresh laundry
53. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? an admissions coordinator (Stay tuned)
54. Who was the last person you sent a text to? My dearest friend Katie Rose
55. A sport you wish you could play? I was a ballerina and never played sports. For the sake of socializing, I’d like to learn golf.
56. Hair color? Ever changing.
57. Eye color? Brown.
58. Scary film or happy endings? I almost always am alone – so no scary movies for me
59. Favorite season? Fall – although we get very little of it here in Dallas.
60. Three people alive or dead that you would like to have dinner with? Lucille Ball, Queen Elizabeth I, Angelina Jolie
61. Hugs or kisses? Both. We all need love.
62. Rolling Stones or the Beatles? The Beatles!
63. Where were you born? Wichita Falls, TX
64. What is the farthest you have been from home? Greece – and it was beautiful!
65. Sweet or savory? I’m more of a sweets girl – although I’m just a good ol’ foodie in general
66. Lipstick or lip gloss? lipstick is less sticky
67. What book have you read again and again? I love Lisa Scottoline’s short stories books – they are hilarious!
68. Favorite bedtime story? The Princess and the Pea
69. What would be the title of your autobiography? And Still I Rise.
70. Favorite sound? the sound of church bells in the city
71. Favorite animal? Meer cats are impossibly cute.
72. Who is your girl crush? Kate Spade, God rest her soul.
73. Last photograph you took? A really cool blog shoot today – again stay tuned!
As for lessons learned – I only have a few. Be kind, inclusion is everything, exclusivity is unacceptable, normal is boring, never be afraid to say no.
I’ve had such a monumental year with the blog (totally unexpected) and made some of the best friends I could have asked for. All of the people came into my life because of the blog and now I can’t even think of life without them. They’ve lifted me up without judgement and embrace ME as a person. The world needs more of this.
As I said earlier, always to be kind, not to be fooled. I’m over the mean girl groups, the exclusivity of certain brands and companies, and am all about inclusion and open-mindedness. Boundaries only create negativity and this blogosphere is FULL of so much talent. There is enough for alllll of us, and there is room for influencers with short hair, or dark hair, round or thin, tall or short, black/yellow/brown skin. It is time. Never be afraid to be yourself, say what you mean to say, and right the wrongs.
Much love to all of you who help make this blog possible. I love you all beyond compare or words. Your open love and acceptance has saved me in my darkest of days. You are incredible and I love you for it. Cheers to this two year blogiversary – I cannot wait to see what year three brings!