Until this year I never knew there were so many strong feelings out there about canned/jellied cranberry sauce vs some sort of cranberry salad/whole berry sauce. WOW! Funny story – we grew up on not awesome dinners. Pretty sure that’s why my brother became a professional chef (super talented) and my parents will be the first to tell you they’re not culinary whizzes. Still love them anyway 🙂 Any who.. one of the sides we commonly had with regular dinners was jellied cranberry sauce, which was fine. One day they happened to buy the whole berry kind and yall, my world was CHANGED! That being said, I serve both the canned jellied kind as well as this cranberry salad recipe I’m sharing with you, it’s become a favorite a my dad’s every Thanksgiving. Full disclosure – it’s not aesthetically gorgeous but it tastes INCREDIBLE.
Do you make breads and such for snacking as well? I’ll definitely be making this carrot cake banana bread recipe I shared! Nothing quite says Thanksgiving like elastic waist bands and carb overload.Print
My Favorite Holiday Cranberry Salad
The recipe is not sugar free but you can certainly substitute the sugar and purchase sugar free Jello mix.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
- Category: Holiday
- Cuisine: American
2 cups of fresh cranberries, washed and drained (I tend to use an entire bag of Ocean Spray)
1 & a ½ cups water
1 cup sugar
1 3 oz. pkg cherry Jello
1 small can (8oz.) of crushed pineapple, drained (You can use a 20 oz. can if you prefer the extra fruit)
1 to 2 sticks celery, diced fine (I use two if I’m using the whole bag of berries)
1 small ripe apple, chopped (I use a Granny Smith apple)
1/4 cup toasted pecans
- Combine the 2 cups of fresh cranberries and 1 & 1/2 cups of water in a medium sauce pan. Cook on medium with the lid on until the cranberries start popping, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sugar and cherry Jello. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the drained pineapple, chopped celery and diced apple (You can also throw these into a chopper for a finer result). Add into the Jello mixture until well-coated. Pour entire mixture into your serving bowl of choice and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with toasted pecans. I also love adding orange zest to this for extra pizzazz.
- Cover with plastic wrap or lid.
- Refrigerate over night.
You can add the pineapple juice into the mixture while cooking if preferred. Just be sure to decrease the water amount so it will set well overnight without becoming too watery.
Keywords: cranberry, side salad, holiday recipes, cranberry recipes, jello salad