These holiday Grinch Cookies are a tribute to Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas! They’re dressed up soft sugar cookies that feature green coloring and the cutest wee little heart sprinkle.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, foil, or silicone baking mats.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
4. Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
5. Add in the egg to the butter/sugar mix and blend until well combined.
6. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
7. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is well combined. It should be thick but not sticky. Do not over mix. Be SURE to scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are well combined!
8. Add a COUPLE of drops of green gel icing color to the dough. If an option, wear gloves to hand blend. Remember: less is more. You can always add more if needed.
9. Scoop 1 & 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Roll into a ball in your palm, then toss each ball in the bowl of sugar to coat. Place on baking sheet.
10. Bake cookies for approximately 10 minutes, give or take. Remove just before the edges begin to turn visibly golden. A touch of gold is fine. Don’t over bake.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, if you have one.
12. Add the heart sprinkle to the upper right of the cookie. The first time I made these I melted the white chocolate and applied a dot of white chocolate to the sprinkle, and then attached the heart to the cookie. Now I opt for something less messy and use tube icing to dot the sprinkle. MUCH easier. Allow to dry.
It’s really tough to get the exact softness preferred in your sugar cookies until you’ve practiced quite a bit. Even so, I’m still perfecting mine! I’ve found that the blend of sugars makes a big difference – so be sure to use both brown and granulated sugar in your mixes if you like softer cookies!
Keywords: grinch cookies