Holy smokes guys. Ever since COVID19 and the quarantines began I think we’ve all been doing a lot more cooking than we’re used to – or at least I am. I used to bake allll the time and then somewhat let that go the last few years. Insert quarantine, frustration, boredom, and all the other emotions and now I’m in the kitchen trying out all kinds of new things. I’ve never made banana bread on my own before until this year. Pumpkin bread, however, I’ve perfected. I’ve tried a few different banana bread recipes because I’m a sucker for mixed flavors, especially anything with cream cheese. This carrot cake banana bread recipe is such a great integration of flavors AND the cream cheese spiced icing is just DIVINE. If you do try be sure to let me know!
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar – can be light or dark
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (I use unsalted)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 ripe mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan bits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8×4 pans and set aside. I like to use butter rather than spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar & brown sugar. You’ll know it’s done when it’s fluffy!
- Mix in both eggs and vanilla.
- Next, sift in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and cinnamon.
- Blend until just combined. (I use my KitchenAid for all of this). Toss in shredded carrots.
- Add in the mashed bananas and mix until well blended.
- Throw in the oven for 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center of each loaf. I actually had to bake for about 8 more minutes for the center to be fully cooked.
- While your bread is baking or while it’s cooling, start on the greatness that is this frosting.
- Whip together the softened cream cheese and butter.
- Sprinkle in cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Add in powdered sugar.
- Mix until light and fluffy
- Allow bread to completely cool before applying frosting.
- Top with the pecan bits – unless you’re nuts and hate nuts. Jk. But I LOVE pecans.
WARNING: You WILL fight your spouse/significant other/roommate .. anyone over this carrot cake banana bread heavenly deliciousness.
DISCLOSURE: I had a good amount of left over frosting. I definitely ran off with the bowl, a spoon, and zero shame.